Thursday 30 June 2011

Unconsciously competent

When you learn to drive they talk about four stages with the last being where you don't think about what you are doing, you just do it. In my nine holes today there were glimpses of that. Hit the green on our opening par 3 and narrowly missed the birdie putt. Chipped sideways on our par 5 secod when my second shot kicked into the nasty stuff and then stuck my 7 iron on the green. Hit a great approach on the 7th. Hit some very nice chips as well. They all seemed to happen when I wasn't really thinking about what I was doing. Rather like sliding up through the gears, I was picking target, setting up, looking at my target and letting the shot go. When however I thought about things a little, tension crept in and I hit some shockers. Didn't finish the 5th properly due to a lost ball but the 8 holes I completed I amassed 17 points. Not setting the world alight but steps in the right direction

It kind of reminded me of my striking days. Slam a ball across goal or give me a chance to pull the trigger and more often than not I'd score or make the keeper work. Give me time to weigh up my options... Same with cricket. Pace bowler I'd react better and score better than facing a spinner. Time it seems is my enemy, reflex is my friend.

42 (31)
3(3), 7(5), 4(3), 6(4), -(5), 5(3), 6(5), 6(4), 5(4)

No comments:

Post a Comment