Saturday 11 June 2011

Scrambled

Texas Scramble is a funny format. You don't really get into a rhythm, you attempt shots you wouldn't normally hit and you wind up with no real idea of how you have played. I hit some good shots today, a couple of great ones and though we finished way off the pace it was a good bit of fun. Played with my good friend Ian who plays off 23. Scrambles don't really suit a pair of high handicappers and though we finished with a respectable 72.9 nett the Pro's carded a stunning 61 with the nearest team finishing with 62.9.

We did have our chances but we just didn't take them and a couple of consecutive horror double bogeys ended any chance we may have had as we drew to the end of the round. Ironically, it was our short game that held the key as we pulled off some miraculous escapes to save either par or bogey. I suppose the good thing about a scramble is you have to take on certain shots and as a result I have learnt three key lessons:
  1. you can't win the longest drive when you're only hitting a 3 wood, but you can give it a bloody good go
  2. it's usually a good idea to mark your putt in a scramble so your playing partner can have a go at it, and
  3. a well struck flop shot runs the risk of flying up your nostril and causing serious brain damage
I am still feeling pretty confident for next week. My short game was pretty sharp today, the putting was fairly solid and though there were a few that were a bit 'toey' the ball striking was ok. Checked out my performance in last year's 1922 Cup. I scored 30 points but had a nightmare run in, picking up just two points from the last six holes. Here's hoping I can sustain a good start this time round.

No comments:

Post a Comment