Sunday 26 June 2011

A fresh start...

Had a lesson today and was also given some great bunker advice by our assistant pro. My first lesson in two months, some subtle changes and a reinforcement of the necessity for me to swing easy. In terms of making me a better golfer, my pro once again highlighted that distance and club head speed are not a problem for me. Controlling that power is. Having spent 20 minutes on the practice hole we ventured onto the course in a buggy armed with my 3 wood and a 910 driver. It was the first time we had looked at my woods together and my pro wanted me to swing really relaxed say 60-70%. The ones I caught well went a bloody mile and though there was some pap in there the message (I think) has finally sunk home.

So a really productive day and time for me to reassess my practice regimen. For the next month I am knocking my midweek play on the head and will instead go to the range to work on my long game. This will also help build confidence and consistency in my woods at an important time. I'm hoping to add a 910 driver to my bag at the beginning of August with my birthday money and will need to book a visit to Cambridge for the not too distant future. Hitting pin high drives on our par 4 16th opened my eyes to what I have been missing on the course.

I think that all of the short game work I have done will hold me in good stead but it's time for a fresh start and a fresh approach to get that score down. Whilst, I'd like to play more golf, I know I need to groove those longer clubs first. Medal next week and I'm optimistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment