Friday 10 June 2011

Is my handicap, my handicap?

Sparked a debate yesterday on the Golf Monthly forum about handicap and whether it can be a limiting factor on your ability to score. You see I've recently been failing to take my chances, feeling I've left a lot of shots out there yet still scoring better than handicap. So my question was simple: is my handicap subconsciously limiting my scoring potential. Golf Monthly Forum discussion

I have come to the opinion that I have been getting in my own way. It all starts on the first tee. Our opener is a long par 3 and I'm always stood there thinking a four here would be a good start. This is despite the fact that the last six times I have played it Ihave been pin high to the left of the green. Why I always pull my opening tee shot I don't know. What I do know is that a chip and putt for par from that position is doable. With hindsight I realise that I don't take sufficient time over my chip. I rush it a little caught up in the excitement that four from there is a banker and three points safely in the bag.

On to the 2nd tee and the aim is damage this is literally my bogey hole. In fact quadruple bogey hole would possibly be more accurate. A seven for two points would be nice I'm thinking. Invariably I blob it.

This type of mindset has become prevalent and needs to go. Don't get me wrong, it served it's purpose when I was struggling. Thinking this way helped me forget bad holes and move onto the next without concern. But now I need to revert back to a medal mentality. It is the Pro's Challenge Texas Scramble tomorrow, a perfect opportunity to change my outlook. I will certainly be hitting a few more long iron approaches. My partner is super steady so I will have a license to play some aggressive golf. It could be the perfect tonic.

No comments:

Post a Comment