Sunday 12 June 2011

What a promise!

Enjoying what has become a regular Sunday morning ritual today. Sat watching recorded golf footage with my littl'un while he works on his putting on my mat. He's only two and a half and is definitely converted. This morning however, he made a rather startling assertion and promise.

He comes toddling over in his PJ's, with his trousers twisted round and hoisted in Simon Cowell fashion. "Come and sit on the sofa with me and watch golf balls Daddy". Can't argue with that request so we sit on the sofa with him still clutching his plastic putter and his golf ball. He is insisting on us clapping good shots and regularly adds his own commentary, "what a good shot", "he got it in the hole Daddy" and "oh no he missed it" being regular fixtures.

The footage we are watching is day 3 of the Masters and the coverage cuts to one of the Masters infomercials. This one is the making of the Green Jacket. The littl'un turns his head to me and says "What is he doing Daddy?" "He is making a very special Green Jacket", I reply "If you get really good at golf and win this tournament you get a green jacket and a locker with your name on it".

"I want to get a green jacket" he says with a voice that is innocence personified. "But not yet, Daddy, I have to wait until I'm a bigger boy". I'm smiling at this point, actually I'm positively beaming, "Well if you work hard you have every chance" I say. "Will you play with me when I go Daddy?" is the next question. I fail to suppress a laugh and chuckle, "I think I'm a bit old to get good enough". "That's ok Daddy you can carry my golf clubs", and with that he's back off to his putting practice.

So there you have it, one day I'll be caddying for Tiger jnr as he plays Augusta, though I have a feeling it may well be in the Par 3 tournament. Who knows, he may even let me make a putt for him. Here's hoping I don't hit it through the green and into the water!

No comments:

Post a Comment