Sunday 19 June 2011

Blockbuster entertainment: the sequel

McIlroy got the job done (Reuters)
On 11th April at 07:21 I sent Golf Monthly a letter by e-mail. It was the morning after McIlroy's Masters meltdown and I had been moved to put finger to keyboard. Under the title Blockbuster Entertainment, this is what I submitted:

"I'm not sure who is writing the scripts at Augusta, but this year's instalment is worthy of an Oscar nomination.

The fallen hero seeking redemption whips the crowd into a frenzy in a scintillating front nine. The plucky debutant almost has his Day with a stirring late rally. The comeback kid finally finds peace on the greens with an inexplicably long short stick.

There are other sub plots but the romantic ending is reached in a pulsating climax when, on the golden anniversary of Gary Player's inaugural triumph a cool, calm and collected South African seals his first Major win with four consecutive birdies.

But the most gripping, harrowing plotline is a souped up Holywood remake of an Australian classic. This time it is a youthful hero who suffers a unrelenting, brutal encounter. We attempt to mask our eyes but are compelled to watch the carnage unfold through our fingers. I sincerely hope that they are planning a sequel where the magnanimous, precocious talent bounces back and secures a series of Major victories. I'm not one for schmaltz but for once I think we all deserve a happy ending!"

Sadly my letter didn't make it into print, but happily it loils as though this evening I will be granted that happy ending. What makes it truly remarkable is the speed with which this has happened. Bouncing back to finish third the week after was special. Destroying the field at the next Major is incredible. I hope I do not live to regret these words but as I intimated on Thursday McIlroy seems to have matured. His chastening experience at Augusta seems to be a timely injection of resilience. The boy from Northern Ireland has come if age. I look forward to watching him write his name in the history books this evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment