Monday 13 June 2011

Wedge play: phase three

First off I must start with a sncere thank you to the Met Office whose announcement of an East Anglian drought caused the heavens to open. The rain was certainly needed and though things are still dry out there, the returning tinges of green are a wonderful sight. Anyway enough meteorological chat, Monday lunchtimes is wedge time and today I trundled off down the heath with a couple of Vokey's in tow.

After months of hard work thing are beginning to click. My wedge approach shots and some (there were a couple of untimely duffs) of my chipping was top drawer. As a result I decided to focus my entire practice session on a shot that I've really struggled with: the quarter swing pitch.

Like most golfers I have this rather large and uncomfortable gap between a full sand wedge and a closer range chips. As you know I'm a follower of the Pelz system but to date I have not been able to crack that little pitch shot. Today I made great strides in the right direction. Armed with a lob and sand wedge I modified my grip and concentrated on controoling my swing distance. The results were mixed as far too many lob wedge shots were hit fat, but I got pretty consistent with the sand iron. In fact the SW went so well I now feel confident from 65 yards out.

However, I am now torn about what to do on Thursday. My head tells me go to the driving range, working on your full swing with your long irons in preparation for Saturday. My heart tells me go and play 9 holes and do some bunker practice. The clock is ticking for the comp and I still have so many things to work on. Having looked at last year's account of my performance in the 1922 Cup (read Mr Blobby here) I think that my long game and putting is the most important focus for me, so driving range it is. I hope it's the right choice!

No comments:

Post a Comment