Wednesday 8 June 2011

Legs akimbo, hands forward, slice!

John Wayne Bobbit
Relax, breathe, don't worry or panic my missus has not gone all Lorena Bobbitt on me. The title in fact refers to a little wedge session on the heath on my lunch break.Not as exciting I know, but from my perspective a darn sight less painful.

So there I am on the heath, getting this horrible clunky sound on most shots and the ball shape being a horrible left to right slice. Then suddenly out of nowhere I have a revelation to narrow my stance to give me more control. Well blow me down with feather and cover me in treacle if it didn't help my ball control. Sadly, the clunky sound remained. Then striding in from the distance came my saviour, my very own John Wayne here to help a hapless John Wayne Bobbitt.

Reg used to be club captain at Waldringfield and often practices his ball striking n the heath as well. After watching me hit a few he suggested that I was pushing my hands too far forward. I need to relax them, which in turn would result in the tip of the club being slightly off the ground. Well tickle me pink with a flamingo and coat me in marmalade if my ball striking was pure as the driven snow. Lovely sound of ball on club, followed by divot and consistent distance and shot shape. Now I still play with a slight fade, something I don't intend to fight, but things just got a whole lot more interesting. If this subtle change produces the same improvements in my longer clubs you might well find me streaking down the A12 whooping with joy, with my tackle in one piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment