Wednesday 1 June 2011

May Statistics

Back in the game. Happy days, eureka, back of the net, by Jove I think he's got it, hallelujah and any other relevant superlatives you can think of. Elation to despair and back again in just eight weeks, with a rather enjoyable holiday thrown into the mix for good measure. I'll dissect the why's and wherefore's tomorrow. Today I am just pleased that, despite the savagery of the distinctly poor scores I returned at the start of the month, things are looking pretty rosy.

Practice
Following last month's epic effort my practice has been quite significantly limited. The holiday burnt up a huge amount of potential time to hone my skills and in between I crammed in as many holes as I could. The main reason for this conscious choice was to bed in a new on course approach. This would hopefully enable me to replicate my range ball striking. The rounds stats seem to indicate that this is working. That said a visit to the range could well be on the cards to help eradicate a swing flaw that is more prevalent (and damaging) in the longer clubs. The way our fairways are at the moment just flirting with the edges can have catastrophic consequences. So a premium being placed on ball control, ably supported by a lot of putting drills.


Distance


Time (minutes)


% of practice time


Driver


0


0%


Other Woods


0


0%


200 - 250 yards


0


0%


150 – 200 yards


0


0%


100 – 150 yards


90


32%


Short Approach


135


47%


Bunker Play


20


7%


Putting


40


14%


Total


285


100%


Rounds
The month didn't begin very well. A measly 26 point haul was swiftly followed by 110 in the medal. I was aghast and despondent. How had I fallen so far so quickly. A brief pep talk and some kindly advice and I was back in the game. In the rounds that have followed (three nine holes and two full rounds) I have amassed 17, 19, 18, 40 and 39 points respectively. To make things better I don't feel that on any of those occasions I have played anywhere near my potential. Lapses of concentration and scrappy chipping/putting/bunker play have cost me shots they shouldn't have. The fact is I've been scoring well despite that, salvaging single pointers when I play a bad hole and making up for it with threes and even the odd four point salvo. The stats are therefore a blend of two awful performances and a steady improvement. As a result they do not show a huge leap on from April, but I have a feeling that June's report will be a little bit special!


Statistic


Performance


SS2 Handicap level


Fairways in Regulation


33% (28%)


20 (22)


Greens in Regulation


15% (17%)


16 (15)


Putts per Round


35.79 (35.31)


 19 (19)


Birdie Conversion


8% (0%)


 25 (28+)


Par Scrambles


8% (7%)


27 (28+)


Sand Saves


0% (0%)


28+ (28+)


Penalties per Round


3.93 (1.38)


28+ (14)


The SS2 handicap level is a calculation made indicating your performance on different facets of your game.

I have let my short game work go off the boil and I need to dedicate some more time to that. But my priority is ironing out the destructive fade that at times can become a weak slice. Do that and my scores will really start to tumble...

No comments:

Post a Comment