Saturday 18 June 2011

Fading into the background

Cheerleader today instead of champion
For f***'s sake. Played like an absolute tit, disappointed but rather than stewing on my round I slipped into the roll of cheerleader as my playing partner made a dash for honours. The rain held off but the wind was gusty and I struggled with my ball control. This was especially the case with the wind in my face but what cost me today were two early chips. Today's comp was stableford and having scored 3pts on our opening hole, my tee shot on the 2nd drifted out of bounds. I made par with my second ball for two more points and felt pretty good on the 3rd tee. The ball held up in the wind but was on a mound by a bunker and a relatively straight forward chip. I peeked, thinned it and ended up with a blob. Guess what? Tit that I am I did exactly the same thing on the 4th. So all of a sudden I am staring down the barrel, all the while my playing partner is amassing points a plenty.

I started chasing a score, desperately trying to get back into the game but on the 13th my challenge came to an abrupt end with another blob. I picked up my 4th blob on 15 and carded a miserable 29 points. Frustratingly my chipping for the rest of the day was pretty good and I played a great flop shot on 18. But the damage was done early on and that led to me trying to hard and consequently my tempo went.

My playing partner Ian was having a completely different round, punctuating steady golf with flashes of brilliance. A couple of top drawer four pointers were the highlights in a round that culminated in a haul of 42 points. When I left the club he was the leader in the clubhouse and I really hope his name is set to be etched on the Honours board as he richly deserves it. As for me, it's back to the drawing board...

97 (67)
4(3), 7(5), 6(3), 8(4), 7(5), 3(3), 8(5), 6(4), 6(4), 5(4), 4(3), 6(5), -(4), 5(4), 8(4), 5(4), 5(4), 4(3)

No comments:

Post a Comment