Thursday 16 June 2011

US Open

Westwood and McDowell at Congressional (Getty)
Tough uncompromising course? Check. Ridiculously massive yardage? Check. A list as long as your arm of people who have a real chance of winning it? Check. Looks like it will be an exciting weekend of golf.

According to statistics only Retief Goosen and Tiger Woods have finished inside the top 40 in defending the title and I don't think that Graeme McDowell is going to repeat that feat. His comments in the media this week speak of a man that has struggled with the burden of his first Major win. As a result as long as he remains in contention for repeat honours the media intrusion will be too much of a distraction. I hope that last year's success does not mark the zenith of his career.

McIlroy said he was humbled by his Haiti visit
I would love Lee Westwood to be proudly holding the trophy aloft when the dust settles on Sunday, but I don't think this tournament and this course is for him. Next month at Royal St Georges however...

I also think that while Luke Donald will be in contention that he will not be holding aloft any silverware on the final day. He lost his way with his driving at Wentworth and though he was able to use his wonderful short game and scrambling to remain in contention, Congressional will not be so forgiving. My European Tour tip would be Rory McIlroy. His recent experience in Haiti seems to have levelled him and he will be burning to put right the wrong of his Augusta collapse.He is long off the tee, incredibly accurate with his irons, and given the uncompromising and penal nature of the rough, a premium will be placed on ball control.

Despite supporting the British Isles finest, I have to say I feel this trophy is returning stateside. Stricker, Mickelson, Kuchar and Nick Watney must all be in with a very good chance. However, having seen their recent tongue in cheek 'Golfboys video' I'll be routing for my favourite fantastic four US golfers. If it has to stay on that side of the pond I really hope it's Watson, Fowler, Mahan or Crane that are planting a smacker on the silver come Sunday. Oh, oh, oh...

No comments:

Post a Comment