Wednesday 28 September 2011

The Golf of Your Dreams: Book review

The Golf of Your Dreams, Bob Rotella 
(Audio Book, 2004)
With his lisping drawl Dr Bob narrates to you his book Golf of Your Dreams. The book is about making a plan with your coach and with yourself about how you can and will improve. Listening to the book rather than reading it does allow some of the messaging to sink in more easily and I keep meaning to stick it on when I am in the car on the way to the course, invariably I forget.

As with all Rotella books it is steeped in common sense, sound advice and no real surprises. But getting those critical, if simple messages, constantly reinforced is an important thing. Recently, regular blog visitors will have noticed that I have taken a more positive approach to my posts, refraining from lamenting my troubles and focusing more intently on my successes. The result has been significant;y improved scoring and immeasurably improved enjoyment of teh game. It is the latter of those two things that I hold most dear. I am buoyed on returning from the course, rather than being frustrated that I have to wait another seven days to right any wrongs I committed.

I'm not going to lie to you, if you are familiar with the words of wisdom of Dr Bob there isn't much new in here that you haven't already heard or read before.That is except maybe the nudge to have a playing lesson. My coaching plan is actually to take a break from lessons and to instead look to develop what skills I have using the knowledge I have gained so far. This is almost flying in the face of Dr Bobs guidance, but I feel I need a break from tutelage and a regimen of mental conditioning. As always Dr Bob will be my close companion.

However, in the New Year I intend on having a couple of playing lessons before the start of the new season, alongside a review of my swing. Starting afresh almost as an established golfer with an improved understanding of his own swing.

If you have yet to try Dr Bob I'd recommend this book along with 'Your 15th Club' and 'Putting out of Your Mind'. They may not have worked for me yet, but a friend of mine who is also a believer has seen his handicap cut from 24 down to 18 this year, as well as winning numerous competitions, including the nett Club Championship.

82%