Monday 12 September 2011

Knock down ginger...

Well actually the title is a tad misleading. I am pleased to report that I haven't regressed to my childhood, scampering around my neighbourhood ringing doorbells and scarpering before the unlucky victim has come downstairs on their stair lift to answer the door to an apparition. No instead I am referring to my efforts to prepare for Friday's joyous links game.

Judging by the weather forecast it is set to be a tad windy, so today I practiced my low running chips, pitches and attempted to teach myself how to play a knock down. Narrow stance, choke down on grip, smooth slow tempo, half back swing and curtail the follow through. Well that was my theory anyway. Over at the heath the elements were being supportive as the headwind was strong and cutting across left to right. After a bit of trial and error I started to get the hang of it and hit a few pretty close to my makeshift pin (use number 57 for a set of alignment sticks).

Getting it to work on command on the course is quite another matter but at least I managed to get a feel for the shot. The biggest problem is I have absolutely no idea how far I hit the ball using this method. Attempting to measure distance today would have been futile as the ground is rock hard and the ball usually takes off like it has just smacked into a concrete path.

With three days in London till the Felixstowe meet I'll not get another chance to practice, except for my putting, so today's efforts will have to suffice. Strange as it may sound, I've reached a new place with my golf. Whilst I want to play well on Friday, who wouldn't, I'm really just looking forward to another round on a new course. It is also a bit of a test for me to see how much my MS has improved. 27 holes on the Friday and then an 18 hole competition on Saturday morning is really going to push my body hard. Fingers crossed I come out the other side with a big fat smile slapped all over my Chevy Chase!