Sunday 4 September 2011

My first golfing injury

When your better half is a physio and you are a keen sports player: it can well be a match made in heaven. I woke up this morning with a dull pain on the outside of my right knee. Following diagnosis I have a slight strain/stretch of my lateral collateral ligament (LCL). It looks as though that has been caused by not warming up sufficiently coupled with the strain put on my right knee as I coil up on my backswing.

I've not had any form of golf injury before and thus has served as a timely reminder that it is not just my back that takes a pounding. Often my preparation revolves around loosening and stretching my back, neck and shoulder muscles and I have been known to overlook my pins. That will certainly not happen again. I'm hopeful it is just a slight strain and doesn't stop me playing. A lay off is the last thing I need right now...

2 comments:

  1. i have a similar pain at the moment in my left knee. Although I am not really playing much golf at the mo (due to the arrival of Miss Flarkey Jnr) the injury is hampering my training for a mountain marathon in October.

    Perhaps I have injured my knee in the same way you have Tig?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your new arrival, fatherhood is truly fantastic.

    It is quite possible that you might have done, as the tension is on both legs. I iced mine for 15 minutes, twice a night for two days, kept it elevated and took a couple of anti-inflammatory tablets and it is all better now. Hope yours is just a niggle like mine.

    ReplyDelete