Wednesday 17 February 2010

Putting Out of Your Mind: Book review

Putting Out of Your Mind, Bob Rotella 
(Pocket Books, 2005)
Dr Bob was my first golfing companion. I was taken ill in August and spent a little under two weeks in hospital. Having only started playing golf two weeks earlier I was already gripped by this wonderful game. As a result being stuck on a ward with very little grass in sight I was feeling a tad miserable. My eldest brother came to my rescue, like a shining knight with a copy of 'Golf is a Game of Confidence' as his trusty sword of truth.

Since completing that book, I have moved on to read 'Golf is Not a Game of Perfect' and 'Putting out of Your Mind', which is the subject of this review. What I've learnt when browsing a range of golf forums is that Dr Bob is very much like marmite. While, I have absolutely no love for the vile, vegetable extract substance that resembles(and probably tastes like) tar, I think Dr Bob is an utter genius.

This isn't just rhetoric I have the statistics to back it up. When I first started playing my putting stats were pretty good. Then I got a little too technical, careful and cagey on the greens. My performance suffered. With Dr Bob I realised that I had it right to begin with, don't overcomplicate things just get it in the hole!

Many people will find this seemingly over simple explanation to be a bit of an anathema. They dedicate so much time on honing their short game, developing their swing, honing their driving technique that a philosophy of 'have a look, trust your instinct and hit it' seems too simplistic. Either that or they feel robbed having shelled out the price of a jumbo bucket of balls for blinking common sense!

The thing is that many of us are guilty of overcomplicating things. I'm glad Dr Bob intervened in time, as my putting is now by far the strongest part of my game. In my mission to learn the game backwards I feel I have taken a significant step in terms of improving my ability on the dancefloor. Dr Bob has played a big part in that. And that is why I've rated this book so highly, as I think it has already had a significant positive impact on my game.

My rating 95%

To buy this book please click on the image below:


ISBN 978-1-4165-0199-2

Comments

Deke
I am glad you like Rotella as much as i do Tiger,and like yourself i too seem to be learning backwards! My putting and short game are really solid,but as you go down the irons my accuracy gets worse! I can hit my hybrid,3 wood,and driver with a fairly similar shape(a big fade),but i struggle for distance.When i do hit a long one,i tend to slice it,but when i hit the ball from the centre of the face the ball goes long and straight(250 yards with driver,220 with 3 wood and 200 with 3 hybrid).I know that when i get a good,repeatable swing i will really have a solid game for my level of experience,and i will be getting my first lessons soon.Until then let the race to 18 handicap commence!

Swinger
If you like Dr. Bob then I would suggest getting audio books on an MP3 player (I use my phone) and then you can listen during practise sessions.
Even listening to music can help practise as it help stop your brain over thinking during sessions.
I am currently learning Chinese but not great at it yet as I haven’t been down the range much!!

Tiger
Swinger
That is a genius idea. Are the audio books different to the actual books or just him reading it? I like the idea of preventing the brain from overdoing it when I practice and just get into a flow. Will definitely give it a go when I hit the range on Saturday.

Deke
Love Dr Bob and my missus (bless her) has just got me ‘Your 15th Club’ and ‘The Golfer’s Mind’ for Valentines Day. I definitely reckon learning the game backwards is the way to go. Feel my short game is coming on!

Swinger
Slight changes for audio but pretty much just the Doc reading his books.

Always got my head phones on up and around the practise ground and course.

With reggards to headphones I would suggest ones that link round the back of the neck as these seem to fit well and are stable enough through the swing. I just find that inner ear models keep falling out at the slightest yank or tug.

GolfHappy
I’m not so sure that taking the Rotella way at the beginning of your golf career is the best way forward. You might be more natural than you think and putting is certainly easier if you don’t complicate things. Rotella comes up with things like “don’t putt it unless you’re going to hole it” which isn’t necessarily the bast advice.

You should focus on your strengths and practice your weaknesses. Being a good lag putter is excellent as it means that you don’t have to get so close with your approach shots (and we are talking about getting your h/cap down here, not shooting under par from the off!) James

No comments:

Post a Comment