Saturday 17 September 2011

Better ball

Well I was a little jaded this morning, especially as the littl'un didn't sleep too well. Nonetheless as a team competition I was determined to give it my all. The format was two ball better ball and my long suffering playing partner Ian and I were hoping for a good showing. With three quarter handicap we were both hit hard. I lost seven shots and played off 21 and Ian lost five to play off 16. The wind did pick up a bit on the back nine and we felt 40 points would put us in the mix. I started conservatively but hit a monster drive on our long par 5 fifth hole. Two solid shots put me on the green in regulation and I drained the 12 foot birdie putt for five points. That massive score helped balance out a few single pointers we picked up. I possibly need to trust in the driver a little more as I hit three more good drives today and that helped in my points contribution. We amassed a total of 39 points with my personal counting tally 23 points from nine holes. Off my actual handicap that would have equated to 26pts. I'm really pleased I put yesterday behind me and managed to get through today ok. I went missing in the middle of the round but started and finished strongly. I spoke to our star Junior player Kyle today, who is in our Hambro team and recently won the Suffolk U16 champs. His handicap has dropped five shots this year and he is now a category 1 player. The final of the Hambro competition took place at Felixstowe last week and he shared my sentiments that it is a tough test of golf. Sadly our club lost the final against Southwold but for Kyle it has been a cracking year. Well played him. So back today and while we are not at the top of the leaderboard we are definitely in the mix. Top two scores when I left the club today were 41pts. It's only the first round of four so hopefully we can push on from this good start!