Wednesday 1 September 2010

The Full Monty

As a newcomer to golf I had been left confused by the seemingly disconnected process of Ryder Cup selection. I just didn't understand how it is possible to have two players inside the world top ten who fail to make the 12 man squad on merit. Obviously, the Captain's picks are designed to mitigate against such an odd occurrence, so when Monty left out a proven matchplay exponent and World number 8 Paul Casey and instead plummed for Padraig 'where's my form gone?' Harrington it got me wondering. Is it a case of The Emperors New Clothes with the Vice Captains unwilling to speak out against Casey's omission and would Monty's naked ambition leave him embarrassed and well rather naked in the media spotlight?

To make sense of it all I had to translate to a sport I understand much better, football. My initial thoughts were the system is nonsense, one great championship sees you rocket up the European Tour rankings and voilĂ , you're in the team (by the way Peter Hanson I am pleased for you). Ludicrous I thought, that would be like picking the England team based on Opta Stats. Then I did some research. Had Fabio unfurrowed his extraordinarily wrinkled brow, relaxed and let the stats do his team selection for him, this summer may well have been different.

According to Opta Stats and the Daily Telegraph Capello would have named a different starting XI. Cue Joe Hart, Michaels Dawson and Carrick and the human beanpole Peter Crouch.

Hart, Johnson, A Cole, Dawson, Terry, Milner, Gerrard, Carrick, Lampard, Rooney, Crouch

Had he selected this side maybe Rooney would have been better supported through improved link up play with Crouch. Barry could have fully recovered while Carrick pulled the midfield strings in his absence. We would have had better balance at the back when we played the Germans and not leaked four horrible goals. Or possibly never met the Germans at all as we beat the USA in the opening game through the lack of Teflon on Joe Hart's gloves.

With this in mind I've softened my stance on Monty's decision. Perhaps Casey would have been as disappointing as Rooney or disruptive as Anelka. Maybe the new caps will be as inspired as New Zealand and secure draws against 'mightier' opponents. Maybe Peter Hanson will be Europe's Diego Forlan surpassing all expectations.

The thing is I have no idea what the personalities of the tour players are. I don't know if any individuals could upset the balance of the team. I wonder if the now chastened Tiger Woods will earn a wildcard, be more of a team player as a result and play a major role in the US defence of the trophy. I'm not sure whether the gritty out of form Harrington will use this as a springboard to reignite his career.

What I do know is I will be glued to the TV and hoping that actually Monty (and the crazy selection criteria) were right all along.

2 comments:

  1. Have a look at my blog. I went to a clinic with Monty yesterday and the reason he picked Harringotn was that all the candidates were so close they discussed who they would want over a four footer to win the cup on Sunday. All picked Harrington on his holing out ability, mental strength and major wins

    ReplyDelete
  2. That maybe the story they are spinning the pulic but I don't buy it. It's all well and good saying that Harrington could handle that pressure putt but if he's only picked up 0.5/1 pt by that stage and Casey/Rose would have picked up 2.5/3pts the four footer becomes a bit irrelevant. The proof will be in the pudding and I hope for Monty's sake his selection is vindicated.

    ReplyDelete