Saturday 25 September 2010

The good, the bad and the ugly...

Well what a day i had today on the course. I was playing the Noodle + for the first time, using my G15 hybrid for the first time and hoping to make that killer break through. I didn't get off to an auspicious start as I failed to get to grips with my new club and started +3, +4, +3. I then drilled one with the new G15 on the 4th just missing the left of the fairway. My approach also went left and my chip on long. I finished with a 6 and was frustrated I hadn't made at least bogey.

Cue more inconsistent golf, wasting a brilliant tee shot on the 5th and scoring +3, +1, +1, +2. So 8 holes down and I was sitting pretty on +19, ouch! Then I found a bit of consistency and hit my straps. I hit a great tee shot on the 9th and though I missed the green with my approach I chipped to eight feet and drained the putt for par. I scored bogey on the 10th after an awful tee shot that went way right and then came the highlight of my round.

The wind had picked up and the rain was lashing down and somehow I found some composure to hit my tee shot on our tiny 11th to five feet and drained the putt for birdie. My tee shot at the 12th and 15th were a little wild and I failed to take my medicine on both occasions. Despite those set backs I still managed to come back in a score of 47 (+12).

To be honest my putting was atrocious today and cost me massively. Far too many 3 putts and an obscene total of 41 putts. To be fair I did hit 5 GIR today, which would have had a negative impact on my putting, but I still should have done better. So I'll be spending some quality practice time with the short stick between now and my next round. The most important thing to come out of today is that after a shaky start I am getting on well with the new stick!

The good: My birdie
The bad: My putting
The ugly: the G15 hybrid (but boy does it work!)
  • 14% FIR
  • 28% GIR
  • 191 yards Average Driving Distance
  • 41 Putts
102 (71)
6(3), 9(5), 6(3), 6(4), 8(5), 4(3), 6(5), 6(4), 4(4), 5(4), 2(3), 8(5), 5(4), 5(4), 8(4), 5(4), 5(4), 4(3)

2 comments:

  1. Tiger congrats, i think thats a good round. Perhaps you didn't have the best of warm ups today, because once the first 5 holes were done you were flying.

    Personally i wouldn't think of 41 putts as obscene. I'm still happy trying to play for pars/bogeys so you're only 5 over the allocated putts.

    Enjoy the hybrid and i'm sure you'll soon break 100 (appologies if you already have).

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Matt, really appreciate your comments. It took me a little while to get used to the hybrid and it was raining hard and windy at the start of the round. On the putting front I had 8 three putts today and I putted really poorly on short and long putts. More practice is definitely required! There were promising signs though so fingers crossed it is the start of an improvement in my scoring and to finally break 100.

    ReplyDelete