Thursday 16 September 2010

Grip decision...well almost

Dare I say it but things are starting to move in the right direction with my swing. However, my good shot now has a gentle draw on it, my bad shot a little too much draw and my awful shot is a pull hook. Essentially, the ball wants to go left. Now my understanding of the potential impact of the grip on a golf shot is that if it is too small you are more likely to hit the ball left and too large and hit it right. Basically all things suggest that my current grip is the right size, or if anything a fraction too small.

As you know I checked on Ping webfit and that suggested I get a +1/32" grip, while I'm currently using a +1/8" jumbo grip. It seemed like a huge disparity at the time and I've since checked again online and with my pro. Having looked more carefully at the Ping webfit categories my measurements put me right on the +1/32" / +1/16" boundary. Long story short is that once I have decided on which grip I'll try it out as a +1/16" on my 7 iron and see what effect it has.

When I do change I know that the Tour Velvet's will be out and currently I am weighing up either the corded Lamkin Crossline or the new N-Dur, which I looked at today and have to say look like a tremendous grip. The slight problem is the N-Dur only comes in standard size so I either need to get happy with applying loads of extra build up tape or wait to see if Lamkin introduce a midsize/oversize option of the N-Durs when they announce their 2011 range in the autumn.
Essentially, the N-Dur is made of a new 3 Gen material and has different texture on the top and underside of the grip. Lamkin say "the hexagon-patterned back panel promotes light tension and protects hands from slipping at impact while the front comfort panel reduces fatigue and promotes an ideal grip position to hit the ball longer with increased accuracy". I say they look like the dog's proverbials and feel well nice!

To find out more about the N-Dur click here.