Monday 20 September 2010

Back to basics

The direction of the ball is determined by the position of the club head at impact. The position of the club head at impact can be affected by a range of factors including grip, swing plane, alignment, ball position, posture etc. Currently, I am either pull hooking it or slicing it (mainly because I am scared of pull hooking it)! Reflecting on Saturday I thought more about how the rest of the four ball played and noted how consistent my good friend Simon was. Yes he was occasionally wayward but more often than not he was right on the money. His secret, well if you ask me it is his pre shot routine, it never changes ... ever.

When I was at school if you 'copied' large chunks out of a text book without referencing or borrowed a mate's homework, slightly changed the wording but kept the same messages it was called plagiarism. Those found guilty were tied to a post in the school yard and given numerous lashes with a cat-o-nine-tails before being immersed in salted, lemon juice (okay perhaps it was just a detention but that lacked the level of drama I was looking for).

When I left school the 'p' word seemed to disappear from people's lexicon. Instead you were praised for not 're-inventing the wheel' and wasting much time, effort and resource in the process to eventually duplicate the good practice that somebody had already created. Outside the corporate world people actively encouraged this practice, willingly sharing their knowledge and expertise, at times fervently pressing you to adopt policies and procedures that they swore by.

As I am no longer in education, I feel completely at ease at using Simon's routine as the basis for my new, revised approach to each shot. On the course I will need to think about yardage, elements, lie, hazards etc and after this point I will choose a club. Taking the club from the bag is my trigger.

  1. Standing a couple of yards back from my ball I take two practice swings perpendicular to my target line. Through these swings I practice the two swing thoughts my pro has given me: hold bend in right knee, flatter swing plane so I strike inside the ball.
  2. I then use my club to identify my target line, my target in the distance and my target on the floor (6 inches in from of the ball)
  3. With the club outstretched I also check my grip
  4. I address the ball feet together ensuring my club is square to my target on the floor
  5. I open my feet to ensure the ball is in the right place in my stance
  6. Adjust posture, stance and distance from the ball so I feel comfortable
  7. Look at the target in the distance
  8. Eyes back on the ball, breathe out, swing
I then figured out why I am hitting my recovery shots so much better. When the ball is in the rough, I am intently focussed on hitting it and keep my eye on it till after it has gone to ensure a clean strike. Ball on the fairway, head up early trying to see where I've hit it, cue thins, fats and slices.

Results? Well during my lunchtime practice today I am already seeing positive signs of improved ball striking. Just need to do it on the course/practice hole. Thursday seems so far away...

2 comments:

  1. Tiger,

    Thanks for the comments on my blog. Very interesting especially the throwing in the towel. To be honest I was knackered after the members/guest day on Saturday and had one of those rounds where I couldn't get the focus or concentration right and I always felt over every shot that it never really mattered.

    I think with your own game, you can plagarise so far but have to find something that is natural and doesn't feel forced or contrived as it defeats the object.

    Stick with it as I can tell there is a great round simmering away. Keep it simple, relax and enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Martin, your tiredness explains a lot as I got the impression that once it went you couldn't re-motivate yourself. Still think you should look at your eclectic best though, I use it to keep myself going around our 'Amen corner' 13th-15th. Hope to read about a cut after your next qualifying event.

    I know what you mean about contrived but so far it has been really helpful. I still need to test it on the course but it has been more a mechanism to better structure the checks that I do before each swing, almost so there's a rhythm from the moment I remove the club from the bag till the point I let the shot go. I'm hoping I can hit form ready to win my division in our winter league!

    ReplyDelete