Saturday 11 September 2010

13th club and the 'flop chip'?

Almost there. So close to having 14 clubs at my disposal and I'm salivating at the prospect. Whether number 13 will prove an unlucky addition is yet to be determined but personally I can only see positive things happening. I have invested my hard earned cash in a 17° Ping G15 hybrid with a stiff Aldila Serrano shaft. Consistent with my other shafts it has a low torque 1.8 and should nicely fill the gap between my 3 iron and 3 Wood. Like many at first I was slightly put off by the significant offset but as my enjoyment of striking my long irons has grown I feel a little more comfortable setting up to hit my hybrid in the same way.

The hybrid has performed well in many consumer tests, often failing to achieve top marks because of its aesthetics. However, if it does the job then it could be as ugly as the Elephant Man's reflection and I wouldn't give a damn.

So the flop chip I hear you ask, well I was experimenting around the greens on Thursday I decided to try it and it worked. Since changing balls I have struggled to get the ball to sit when chipping over an obstacle. I only hit this shot when I have a nice lie so the club can slide easily under the ball. Effectively, I set up the same as I would for a flop shot with club face open on my 56° wedge and play a chipping stroke. I suspect to many low & mid handicappers this will be as much of a revelation as the fact that water is wet, but to me it has opened up my options in and around the green.

Unfortunately, there is a charity day at the course on Sunday so I won't be able to play a round this weekend. Instead I'll spend some time playing the practice hole which will most likely be deserted. As well as working on the latest swing changes, I'll also be taking a bit of time to review my wedge distances as lately I have been hitting the ball much better than I ever have before, and consequently hitting it further and past the green!

No comments:

Post a Comment