Monday 7 March 2011

A wristed development

99.99% of the time using the words 'cut', 'my' and 'wrists' in the same sentence has negative implications. I think I may have found one of the few instances where actually the opposite is true. You see it has suddenly dawned on me that I need to cut my wrists out of my golf game. These periodic revelations always appear as common sense once the light bulb finally decides to stop flickering and stay on.

This morning I had 30 mins chipping practice in the garden, followed by a few practice swings of the full swing. The chipping is part of my attempt to meet Paddy Harrington's recommendation of 20 mins short game practice a day. As I walked back in doors I realised that you actually play golf, predominantly with your back and shoulders. Chipping and putting wrists are a big no, no. While there is a degree of wrist hinge in the full swing I actually swing better when I just focus on good upper body rotation. It improves my tempo as well. Mmmm. Well my pro has sentenced me to hitting lots of balls to bed in the latest change. We'll see how I get on, on Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment