Friday 4 March 2011

Whisper it quietly...

...I think I'm making progress, real tangible should be getting a handicap cut soon progress. Had a lesson today and it was quite simply fantastic. Working a little on my hands in the backswing where I have been guilty of cupping. Cupping is where there is a movement in your wrist in your backswing that can lead to a steeper angle of attack. My pro pointed out that this has caused me problems in my transition causing me to increase my tempo and thrash at the ball. All I know is that with this modification everything feels smoother and more controlled. I am perhaps drawing the ball a little too much but that may be down to how I have compensated in the past.

I have honestly never been more excited about my progress. After the lesson I carried on practicing and from ten consecutive shots I stuck 7 on the green from 150 yards with an 8 iron. Unheard of consistency for me. Now all I need to do is keep my head, maintain my composure and trust the swing on the course tomorrow. Trying very, very hard not to get carried away.

I also had a little short game chipping practice and although it didn't go as well as it has recently, the firmer greens obviously played a significant part in that. A few chip ins and some in gimme range brought a smile to my face, just need to keep the hands soft! So March medal tomorrow, the course looking in fantastic condition, my swing improving and short game getting there: it's going to be one helluva day!

No comments:

Post a Comment