Wednesday 16 March 2011

Wii fit for golf

Using the camera has given me a real insight into how I am actually swinging. I thought I was quite controlled but actually I'm a bit thrashy. So I'm starting to work on my core by using a couple of games we have on the Wii. I'm hoping a regular pilates workout will improve my balance and core strength. This should help address my swing being a little uncontrolled and give me a solid base around which to rotate. It's funny but now I have a visual idea of what I'm trying to achieve with my swing it makes me more aware of when I get in the wrong positions.

I read an interesting article in Golf World yesterday about Tiger Woods' swing. The article was based on the perceptions of his five coaches and it will be interesting to compare this piece with next month's Golf Monthly interview with the man himself. Michael Jordan once said that Tiger believes he can be the first person to beat golf. His coaches on the other hand seem to imply that he perhaps has overtinkered and plays his best when he reverts to his natural instincts.

I'm at the other end of the spectrum but I do still think about my golf a lot. A big challenge for me is that I do hit the ball a long way. As a result when it goes offline it gets me in big trouble but when it goes where I want it to I score well. I guess admist all these little things such as chipping practice and using the wii, I mustn't lose sight of the need to trust natural instincts and above all else enjoy playing. Work means I will struggle to get any practice time over the next couple of days. Thankfully, Saturday morning will see the return of the swindle and I believe the first weekend off actual handicaps. A relaxed game off the yellows of 28, here's hoping I finish quids in.

Mmmm maybe I'll pass on the pilates and play a round on Tiger Woods instead...

No comments:

Post a Comment