Saturday 12 March 2011

Anyone seen my keys?

First off apologies. Still having video issues and insufficient time to resolve. Hopefully, swing video appearing tomorrow. Having looked at it and that of Ernie Els (who is my swing role model) I understand a little more what my teaching pro would like me to do in the back swing. But enough of that, how did today go.

It's strange because I haven't been hitting the ball as well as I know I can and yet I am still managing to score. In fact I am scoring better than I ever have done. Previously I was dependent on GIR or great tee shots to help me put points on the board. Currently, my shots off the tee are a little hit and miss but I'm scrambling better, though not for par!

Off to a flying start today with 14 points through the first six holes and only one decent tee shot struck on the 5th. I blobbed 7 with my first tee shot finishing a yard out of bounds and my approach shot drifting right and OoB as well. A scrappy point on the 8th and then I found my rhythm again scoring 11 points through the next five holes. Another blob on 14 again courtesy of a ropey tee shot and I fought for single pointers on the next three holes. Low and behold I find my swing on the 18th, stick my tee shot to 15 foot and two putt for par and 4 points.

So a grand total of 33 points split 17/16. No duffed chips to report (hoorah!) but on a couple of  occasions I did take one club too many and give myself problems as a result. Putting was pretty solid (28 for 16 holes) but I did have a couple of unnecessarily poor three putts where I lost concentration. It could have been my best ever strokeplay score off the whites today, but it was my best stableford score and that is pleasing.

I need to start building my confidence in using my hybrid and 3 wood. Best tee shot today was on the 5th and that was with the hybrid so I know I can do it. I just have to believe I can. Wonderful company once again with Ron, Andy and Ian. Not played with Ron and Andy before and once again another couple of golfers who think I've got a lot of potential I just need to get more consistent. Chatting with the club pro afterwards he pretty accurately summed me up: "He's got all the shots in the locker, he just can't find the key!"

85 (63)
4(3), 7(5), 3(4), 6(4), 6(5), 4(3), -(5), 6(4), 5(4), 5(4), 4(3), 6(5), -(4), 7(4), 6(4), 6(4), 3(3)

No comments:

Post a Comment