Wednesday 2 March 2011

Wedging my bets...

I have been practicing with my wedges religiously since I started playing golf and I now think I am able to benefit from all of that effort. Whether I have deliberately laid up to a set distance or inadvertently positioned myself in a tricky predicament or partial shot yardage I have an arsenal of shots to call on.

Having tried the Pelz 4x3 wedge system I encountered a few problems. While I was consistent with half swing shots I found I was less accurate on full wedge shots (apart from my PW) and inconsistent on swing length and strike with the quarter swing. So I went back to the drawing board and with the aid of the new practice utility on the Shotmiser I have approximate distances to cover shots from 120 yards - 40 yards.
I say approximate because I am not consistent enough yet to say I am exact (normally +/- 2/3 yards) but I am getting better.


My new method is pretty straightforward and predominantly involves two shot types: half swing and quarter swing chip. The half swing I set up with my feet slightly narrower than a full shot and my left foot flared. It is more relaxed than the full swing and I am to swing back to 9 o'clock (although I probably go back as far as 10!) and swing through to 2 o'clock to ensure I accelerate through the ball. The quarter swing chip I set up as I would do for a chip but with a slightly wider stance. This means a change of grip to my putting grip. I do not flare my left foot and place 90% of my weight on the left side. I then swing back to my pocket and swing through to my other pocket or just above it. Again it's nice and relaxed and it feels more controlled using the putting grip.

Over the past month I have been pretty consistent with my half swing shots and hope that using the distances below as a starting point I will be able to wedge it close more often. Anything under 40 yards I tend to be more analytical of the situation in front of me and prefer to use as little loft as the situation will allow.

120 yards: PW (half swing)
115 yards: PW (choked half swing)
110 yards: GW (full swing - probably the weakest of all the shots)
105 yards: GW (choked full swing)
95 yards: GW (half swing)
90 yards: GW (choked half swing)
85 yards: SW (half swing)
80 yards: SW (choked half swing)
75 yards: LW (half swing)
70 yards: LW (choked half swing) or PW (quarter swing chip)
60 yards: GW (quarter swing chip)
50 yards: SW (quarter swing chip)
40 yards: LW (quarter swing chip)

No comments:

Post a Comment