Tuesday 29 March 2011

The small details...

McDowell putting masterclass in GM
The more I play golf the more I understand it is a game with minute fractions between success and failure. It is also a game where you can get complacent and little errors creep into your game, sometime to devastating effect. Recently I've noticed my putting has been off. Everything feels the same and I had no explanation for it. Interestingly at the same time there were a proliferation of posts on the Golf Monthly forum all about putting. So interest piqued I thought I'd spend 20 minutes this evening on the putting mat. I discovered that I wasn't quite over the ball and that meant misses right, exactly the malaise that has affected me on course.

One very small tweak later and it is all good once more. There is the slight issue of taking a putting stroke from the comfort of a twelve stimp dead straight and flat putting mat, onto a bobbly, slow course green. The challenge similar to transfering arrow straight range shots onto the course. Nonetheless I am optimistic that my short putting woes will be less of a feature in Saturday's medal.

The weather forecast suggests some rain is coming this week which I think will be good for the course. I just need to sneak in a couple more practice sessions between now and the weekend so I'm in tip top condition. Those of you who have voted that I'll still be on 28 in August have been a great inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment