Sunday 20 March 2011

House of Mirrors...

I have to concede that after yesterday's round I felt confused, dejected and a little bit nauseus. Playing off the yellow tees I guess I had a distorted perspective that recent rounds off the whites would have made me stronger, yet my world seemed to be turned upside down. Hindsight and reflection can be helpful aids to put the world to rights and in this instance have been very helpful. Firstly, as I was playing in the swindle I was off an artificial handicap of 18. That masks your real performance and in a bizarre twist of perception makes you believe you are playing worse than you actually are.

After an ok start my tee shot found the green on the 3rd but my putting touch deserted me. I walked off with a four. A slightly pulled 3 wood off the tee of the 4th forced me to play out sideways and I duffed my approach. That said I was on the green for 4 and should have tidied things up. Nope three putt number two. Again a solid, but pulled, tee shot got me in troucble on the 5th and having carved my way from rough to fairway to rough to green I three stabbed again. A par on the sixth gave brief respite followed by what would have been par on the 7th if I hadn't pulled my second shot into a forest of gorse. Hit GIR on the 8th, three putt and almost repeated the trick on 10. It's been three weeks since my last proper stint of putting practice and it showed.

Despite a meltdown on the back nine with three blobs I carded 15 points. If I can eradicate the pull with the 3 wood things are looking up. It gives me an extra 30-40 yards off the tee which takes the pressure off my second shot, unless I have to chip out sidways that is! As for the putting, I'm just calling it a bad day at the office, a freak occurence. Lots of golf scheduled for this coming week all gearing up to the Captain's Drive In on Saturday. In some ways I'm glad I had a bit of a stinker today, you don't want to peak too early!

104(71)
4(3), 9(5), 4(3), 7(4), 8(5), 3(3), 7(5), 5(4), 6(4), 4(4), 4(3), 7(5), 8(4), 5(4), 8(4), 7(4), 5(4), 3(3)