Monday 14 March 2011

Eyeline Target Circles: Equipment review

I must admit I had high hopes for these, and then they arrived. To say I was underwhelmed would be an understatement. There seems to be a common thought process associated with golf: "the people who play it are minted". In my opinion this myopic opinion is wholly inaccurate. Perhaps in a bygone age when golf catered for the wealthy it held a semblance of truth but nowadays it is nothing more than a myth, perpetuated by unfortunate soles such as myself who are desperate to improve and pay over the odds for improvement aids. I apologise that this is turning into a rather long winded and seemingly irrelevant monologue, but the fact of the matter is that at £45 for the pair I feel ripped off. A wiser investment would have been a luminous tray and a coping saw. If I have been somewhat over effusive in my praise for training aids to date, this episode will go some way to redressing the balance.

First and foremost these do not work as effective target circles around the hole. The marketing bumpf will lead you to believe that they sit flat enough to allow balls to pass unaffected across their surface. In reality this is poppycock, with shots diverted off target as they approach the hole, or held captive as they attempt to roll past it. They do however serve as useful targets for landing area but due to your intention to be as accurate as possible this makes only the smallest circle a useful aid. Either they lack the flexibility of alignment sticks or I lack imagination but I cannot think of another way to use them for practice. If you think of something please enlighten me. Adding insult to injury is the difficulty in actually placing them in a circle, they seem to be more at home in an oval shape. There's also the problem of transporting them. I like training aids that fit in my bag so I can take them, use them to warm up and then have them on my round. The small circle achieves this but the larger red one steadfastly refuses to fit without being bent slightly: an act that renders it even more unable to lie flat.

At present I'm using them for pitching (red) and chipping (yellow) landing targets. But if you've got the best part of fifty quid burning a hole in your pocket I'd suggest looking at some of the other aids I reviewed!

click here for more reviews

Rating 62%

No comments:

Post a Comment