Tuesday 22 March 2011

End of the beginning...

Today I had the month 24 appointment for my clinical trial. It's an important stage as it marks what will hopefully be the end of the chemotherapy phase of my treatment. I do feel much better than I did when I started out on this journey two years ago and its funny how times have changed. Back in 2008 when I was first diagnosed I was starting out on my second full season at Coplestonians FC. I'd finished the year before as top scorer and was keen to reclaim that trophy. Pre season had been tricky with lack of sensation in my right leg, which when you're playing football and are right footed isn't really ideal. I played the first game of the season and despite the leg had a really good game. I didn't score, but I did rattled the bar from 30 yards with a stinging effort. I was a bit of a football nut, I trained hard and never left the pitch without my tank on empty. I guess that's why I'm so obsessed with golf. When something that is such a significant part of your life is taken away you need to find solace somewhere else. I feel lucky to have found such a fantastic substitute.

So there I am today completing my questionnaires in the waiting room and sitting oppositie me is Anthony Alastair Johnstone multiple winner on the European Tour. He has been an inspiration to me as he has battled back from MS to win on the Senior Tour. I'm not normally  bashful type but it did seem inappropriate to interrupt his sift through the Guardian newspaper. In hindsight I am kicking myself, but c'est la vie. Here's hoping our paths cross again in more uplifting circumstances. In the meantime I shall continue my quest to figure out how to improve at this frustrating yet stimulating and challenging game. Well you never know, our paths my cross on a golf course and it would be quite nice if I didn't still play like a nob!

No comments:

Post a Comment