Sunday 6 March 2011

No 3 Putt: Equipment review

Probably one of the simplest concepts I have seen in a golf training aid. I'm not a fan of mirrors and rails as I like to keep my putting natural and less technical. Effectively all this does is sit in the hole and make it smaller. There are two rings with both designed to be used for short putts (3 - 5 feet) whilst you can use just the outer ring for longer putts. Essentially, this helps focus the mind on a smaller target providing less margin for error. When you then take the aid away the hole does look massive.

At first this aid served to diagnose a problem with my putting stroke. I needed to improve my stroke and have greater control of the clubhead. So I made a few adjustments to my grip and eventually found a slight modification that worked. Now I spend about 30 minutes a week practising using the No 3 Putt on the mat in the garage and so far so good. I am much more solid on those shorter putts and am sinking more from 6-10 feet as well.

It's a really simple training aid, can be carried everywhere and is a brilliant tool for warming up on the practice green before a round. The only downside that for a giant plastic polo it is overpriced (about £13 is the best I have seen). Nonetheless, I would still recommend it to anyone that wants to sharpen up their putting within 10 feet.
Rating 83%

No comments:

Post a Comment