Friday 25 March 2011

The Prisoner

Many years ago, before the digital high definition explosion, television was simple. There were three established channels and a new one just being born. Remotes didn't exist so adults had children to ease the burden of leaving the comfortable confines of their armchair to "turn it over". With the exception of a few programmes most were re runs and westerns were often on the menu. However, I have vague memories of a cult tv show and one immortal line. I never really understood why the man was running away all the time, or why he was so scared of a big balloon. However, what really got me flummoxed was the fact that he repeatedly bellowed out that he was not a number, but I don't recall him ever telling us his name.

I was in high spirits yesterday following Wednesday's round and reading an article on Boyd & Parry I was struck by a reference to a certain Mr Ian James Poulter. There is a fine line between confidence and arrogance and many think IJP flirts precariously on it's boundary. As Boyd's mentor he has certainly made one thing unequivocally clear: above all else you have to believe in yourself and your ability. Having read a fair bit of Rotella, Poulter is right on the money. Golf IS a Game of Confidence.

So perhaps that is where I've been going wrong. Rather than rebelling against a label like the mysterious 'Six' I've accepted it, possibly even used it as a comfort blanket. "Yes I did have a bad round but I am a 28 handicap". The fact of the matter is the only thing that labels my 'standard' is that number and it isn't accurate. I have often been told you don't hit it like a 28 handicap, or putt like one. My chipping is markedly improved as is my course management. Maybe the one thing holding me back from progress, is me...

No comments:

Post a Comment