Sunday 1 August 2010

Sally Gunnell's

I feel a bit sorry for our Olympic hero at Barcelona 1992. Despite being a shining light for British women athletics at a dark time when medals were few and far between, her name is now synonymous with the rather unattractive, yet highly effective daisy cutting shots that still reach there eventual targets.

While Britain's athletics team are performing superbly back in Barcelona, the perfectly sculpted team comprise no members who can relieve Ms Gunnell of her unfortunate golf shot description duties. I was enthralled yesterday watching Ennis, Farah, Greene, Williams and Rimmer etal bringing home the precious metal.

Having reflected on my performance yesterday I'd have been somewhat happier with a collection of Gunnells. I got the floor hugging properties right but lacked the 'skill' to keep it running and running and running. I am thinking that maybe knowledge that my clubs are not long enough are playing some part. What I do know is my lack of flight has coincided with a swing change to get me further forward at impact. I used to lean back a lot, perhaps that stopped me from thinning the beejesus out of it? No that can't be right either, perhaps it's because at present I'm just a bit (or probably a lot) crap.

So I've decided on two things:

1. I must practice much more
2. I'll stop taking Ms Gunnell's name in vein

After all she trained hard to become an Olympic champion, whilst I practice insufficiently and bemoan my lack of skill.

No comments:

Post a Comment