Tuesday 17 August 2010

Nick Watney my heart goes out to you

Ok, I'm a little bit angry with him as well. There I was on the eve of the USPGA toying with who my free bets should be placed on. Having broken my golfing gambling duck at The Open, I had been rewarded with two free bets by Paddy Power and William Hill. You had to use these back in July so I played it safe and went with McIlroy and Westwood. Lee's injury meant I need to back someone else.

Hunter Mahan went straight down, he was bang in form and at 35/1 well priced. I couldn't see the Yanks letting yet another outsider claim a Major on their soil after McDowell at the US Open, and if they did I couldn't see past Rory. So my other two picks would be American. I was tempted by Furyk but couldn't see him having the staying power (at least I got that one right), so I plummed for two up and coming players: Sean O'Hair and Nick Watney.

Now what attracted me to Watney, other than the 50/1 odds, were what a nice guy he was. Following his interviews at Augusta and St Andrews I was struck by what a down to earth, all round nice guy he was. So it would be almost a double win if he romped to victory at Whistling Straits, a 'Nice Guy Comes First' kind of headline and a helpful bit of wedge in my back pocket.

Now I didn't get to witness his horror show first hand, although I'm sure he displayed a great deal more dignity than Sergio Garcia on day one. But I was stunned to see him crumble so dramatically, blowing his overnight lead on the opening four holes and then plummeting to a 'can someone please put me out of my misery' 81 (+9). I really do hope he bounces back, as decent sporting role models are difficult to find these days and Mr Watney deserves to be at the pinnacle of golf, if for no other reason than his good humour, honesty and integrity.

As for me, that sudden cash windfall that would have financed my hybrid has upped and vanished like a fart in the wind. Oh well back to counting the pennies...