Tuesday 10 August 2010

Annus horribilis?

I had a bit of a bad year in 1992. I turned 13 that year. I missed out on a birthday present because my brother broke his glasses. I had just realised how truly wonderful the fairer sex were, at the same time as recognising that I lacked the requisite skills to engage them in conversation, let alone tonsil hockey. All in all it was a pretty bleak year. The Queen famously used her Christmas speech to share with the public that she'd had a bit of a shocker as well. Two marriage break ups and a fire at one of her several castles all put into perspective by a terminally I'll friend who continued to put other people first.

Some people are saying that Liverpool had an Annus Horribilis last year, I think they had a blip but poor old James Corden had an absolute stinker. Seriously how awful were his world cup shows.

To be fair whilst I think by regal standards 1992 was a bit of a shocker, in a broader context it wasn't really that bad. James Corden on the other hand may never be taken seriously ever again! As for me my first year of golf came to a rather uneventful end with my recent 109. I've learnt more from my mistakes (probably because I've made so many) than anything else. But today heralds a new beginning. I think the best decision I've made all year has been my focus on my short game. It's by no means perfect but currently the strongest element of my game and hopefully getting stronger.

I'll be starting with a new teaching pro on Thursday (hopefully) and lessons will be taking place on course/practice hole rather than on the range. I'll be playing more often as I now have the freedom to take myself to golf. My bag is pretty sorted just a hybrid to add in the short term. I had hoped to make much more progress than I have to date but that said the season is not yet over.

One thing I do know is that over the past 368 days there has been joy, excitement, frustration, disappointment, confusion and a soupçon of stupidity. But all in all, more of an annus mirabilis, here's hoping there are more wonders for me to savour next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment