Tuesday 29 June 2010

Cake or Death?

Those unfamiliar with the comic genius of Eddie Izzard will think I've had a bit too much sun. Come to think of it those who are familiar with the reference will probably think the same thing! Stick with me there is a somewhat salient point in there somewhere.

In his stand up show 'Dress to Kill', Izzard ponders what it would have been like if the Church of England had held an inquisition along similar lines to the famous Catholic Spanish one. Accusing them of being much too nice to have a torturous inquisition it is more likely that those 'tormented' by the CoE would have to make the difficult choice of tea and cake with the vicar or death. "Errr, I'll have cake please".

Listening to Eddie got me thinking about my forthcoming round. Though the extremes aren't quite as severe, the choice is similar. Fairway or [choose from] Out of Bounds/ Water/ Gorse/ Rough/ Bunker..."errr fairway please". So why when I know I hit my 6 iron arrow straight 95% of the time do I reach for the 3/4/5? Mainly because I'm as infatuated with the next chap with distance. If I had a big dog I can almost here it pining to be let off the leash.

So a random bit of Eddie has reinforced my resolve to play it safe this weekend. If you're struggling off the tee like me give it a go and let me know how you get on. We might start a high handicapper golfing revolution: "We're gonna run out of cake at this rate!"