Saturday 19 June 2010

Hokey Vokey

You put your waterproofs on, take your waterproofs off, on, off, on, off then smash it out of bounds. You score a double bogey even though you got up and down, that's what it's all about woooooooohoooo the hokey vokey...

Well the weather was as changeable as a hypochondriac's health and the wind caused me a lot of problems, especially as the round progressed. My playing partner cried off with a bout of Ingerlanditis, a serious illness caused by a poor world cup performance that has symptoms not too disimilar to the world's worst hangover.

I struggled with the wind in my face and when it was blowing left or right it was tough keeping it on the fairway. Throw in some sloppy putting, a couple of duffed chips and a soupçon of bad luck and I had to scrap for every shot today. Best hole for me came on the 2nd. The sun was shining, the birds were chirping and I drilled a 5 iron down the centre of the fairway, followed by a solid 6 iron. The group in front called me to play through and I hit my 8 iron to the edge of the green and putted from the fringe to 2 inches. Very close to a birdie on a par 5 that has been my nemesis for so long.

My best ever score is 105 and today I played below par and was one stroke off it with 30 stableford points. I am learning to tackle the elements by clubbing up, swinging easy and allowing for the wind. My chipping is improving though my club selection was wrong a couple of times, but that will come. I'm hoping to squeeze a round in one evening this week as I continue my preparation for my next medal. Let's hope I peak just in time for that game.

106 (71)
6(3), 5(5), 4(3), 9(4), 7(5), 5(3), 8(5), 5(4), 5(4), 6(4), 4(3), 7(5), 7(4), 7(4), 6(4), 5(4), 5(4), 5(3)

No comments:

Post a Comment