Sunday 27 June 2010

Balance...

The weather is glorious, the summer solstice has been and gone (21st June it was) and as we celebrate the arrival of the longest days of the year, summer is in full bloom. The bulk of blog readers will have been enjoying these conditions on their resplendent golf course. I in my infinite wisdom planned in some good quality family time, with my mum and hyperactive nephew coming to visit. At the time it seemed a good plan but from my previous post you'll know that the football gods conspired against me.

Consequently, whilst you were lapping up a veritable feast of golf I went to Easton Farm Park and then Aldeburgh to be greeted by that quirkiest of English traditions, Morris Dancing. I'm not quite sure who Morris is, or why he chose to create such a bizarre visual spectacle but I have a vague recollection of something in a medieval History lesson about the bells, sticks and handkerchiefs being used to ward off evil spirits. Obviously, both my son and nephew were gripped by this rather surreal performance, my mum thought it was a quaint bit of fun and my missus thought it was hilarious.

Not to want to deprive you of this mesmerizing display of auld English dance, I recorded a clip for you lucky, lucky people. Unfortunately, I recorded it sideways so in the interim while I fix it and to prevent you from getting a crooked neck, I have found this clip on youtube for your enjoyment. So sit back, relax and enjoy a top notch display of hanky waving, bell jingling, foot stomping English fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment