Sunday 13 June 2010

Grand Prix Golf

Played in the Peter Hatcliffe memorial day today at Stapleford Abbotts golf course and learnt 4 important lessons.

1. When you play in a golf day with buggies you don't have time to collect your thoughts. I like the walk between shots to ponder, reflect, plan, think, contemplate, digest, chat, enjoy the surroundings etc. Today it was whizzing off after the tee shot and before I knew it I was standing over my next shot. More often than not it went wrong. In fact I played well off the tee today apart from 4 holes. Felt the pressure on the first with everyone gathered round and fluffed the holes on longest drive and nearest the pin. The other disaster was my first unleashing of the 3 wood, more on that later.

2. The 3 wood is still a work in progress but has improved my confidence and ability with the 3&4 irons. Call it pyschological or just feeling closer to the ball but I hit both clubs pretty well today. In fact performance off the tee, when I often had a chance to gather my thoughts, was my strongest asset. More time at the range with the G15 a pressing priority.

3. The 3 wood lesson has affected my performance with my other clubs. Driving through the ball and finishing in balance meant that today I hit a lot of balls out of bounds or into trouble left. These were mid to short iron shots that I used to hit straight so something I used to do to compensate in my swing is having a negative impact. I'm not hooking it but in a straight line about 30 yards left of target. I hope it will be a simple alignment fix.

4. How much fun are golf days!!!! Didn't play as well as I would have liked today but had fantastic company, great banter, good weather, a beautiful course and a really enjoyable round of golf. I may not have got into any rhythym but by the back nine I didn't care it was pure unadulterated fun and it made a refreshing change. Some times the whole challenge to reduce handicap can take over a bit so it was nice to let my hair down (not that I've got much), experiment a little and have fun with my brother and his friend Jamie.

I'll be posting a full review of Stapleford Abbotts soon but in a nutshell - they love a right to left dogleg!!!! Oh and in case you were wondering yes I did beat my bro.

No comments:

Post a Comment