Monday 7 June 2010

Work in progress...

So here I am three months in and my scores are the same. Admittedly, I am now playing off the whites which does make a significant difference on about 4 holes, but I wanted to get to the bottom of things. Critically, one thing has remained the same. My performance from the tee where I am still hitting a 5 iron most of the time. Interestingly though I have noticed that my ball striking with the 5 iron noticeably declines one the holes where I would preferably hit a Driver/3 Wood. On the shorter par 4's and obviously the par 3's where I hit 4/5/6 I tend to strike the ball pretty well, mainly because it is part of my course management plan for that hole. I also tend to hit the 4/5 iron well on approach shots on par 5's where I am laying up for a PW/9I.

All in my head...
So what can I do. Subconsciously something is telling me you need to rip this one because you should really be hitting a bigger stick. Irrespective of what I do to placate the caveman alter ego he is just unimpressed with the puniness of the iron and yearns for a meaty wood. Obviously, I have now purchased one but I think it will take about 3/4 weeks before it is ready for use on the course.

Next problem?
I am actually hoping that my next major issue will be resolved by fixing the first. Let me explain. I get too tentative on 'pressure putts' especially those that might lead to me breaking my birdie duck. I then get frustrated at under hitting those and overhit the second effort. However, if I am in play more off the tee, that will alleviate some of this self generated tension as I'll hopefully be scoring well and not reliant on birdies and pars to rescue me following disaster holes

So get it in play, keep it in play and hopefully the short game will take care of the rest