Friday 25 June 2010

No golf this weekend...gutted

As I write this my mum will be crawling up the A12 on her way to visit. I had it all planned meticulously. She would arrive tonight, we'd have a family day out tomorrow, I'd watch England trounce Ghana in the last 16 of the World Cup, mum would depart at lunchtime on Sunday and I'd hit the course in the afternoon.

What could possibly go wrong? When Joe Cole and James Milner were playing hole the ball up in the corner, like many frustrated England fans I was screaming at them to show more ambition. The USA could still score, get a second, win the group. Obviously it would be nice to face Ghana & Uruguay to get to the semi finals. A much better route to glory than Germany, Argentina, Spain, Brazil. But much more importantly a late USA goal will completely ruin my golfing plans.

They persisted with the time wasting, Landon Donovan came to the Yanks rescue and my golf withdrawal symptoms went into overdrive. Bugger. The only way for my Sunday to be rescued is by a drubbing of the Germans. If I'm subjected to another Algeria-esque performance and we're knocked out I'll be doubly peeved. Fabio you've been warned.