Saturday 5 June 2010

The tension is mounting

I'm as excited as a schoolboy on Christmas Eve and at the same time as nervous as a fox in the hunting season. The main aim for tomorrow is to go out and enjoy it. If I shoot a good score it's a bonus. The game plan is to play sensible, conservative golf, not worry about the score and keep the ball in play. I'm packing a spoon and plenty of sugar, just in case I need to take my medicine.

I've played the course enough times now to know about a lot of the positions I could end up in and have a bank of positive memories of how I have escaped a number of them, especially recently. I have missed this buzz, I remember it fondly on Friday nights before a big football game, actually with me ANY football game. Meticulously preparing my kit  and getting ready for kick off.

What's better about golf is the ability to plan ahead, have an idea of what you will do on each hole, remember where you have perhaps made mistakes before and think about what you will do if it happens again on the day. I'll lie in bed tonight and play the 18 in my head how I want to play it tomorrow. Fingers crossed my dream will come true.