Monday 14 June 2010

Train it, trust it

It would have been really naive to think that a day after one lesson I would stroll nonchalantly onto the course, pull the gleaming 3 Wood out of the bag and proceed to repeatedly split the fairway with a procession of drilled tee shots. That said it would have been [insert expletive] nice!

Anyway while I am still very much in the train it stage of my relationship with the Ping I do know that I am capable of hitting sweet shots with it. That in itself is reassuring and when I think back to when I started hitting my irons I had much the same problem with the 6, then the 5, the 4 and now the 3. Ironically, once I have reached the trust it stage with each iron and progressed to the next the shorter club almost immediately seems easier to hit. Perhaps because it has been dislodged from its position as the longest club in the bag I hit it a little more freely?

I am reassured by comments from other lower handicappers who I play with who say I am on the right track and I just need to be patient and wait for that epiphany when all the components start to gel together. The short game is really coming on and I honestly can't remember the last time I thinned a wedge. In fact my current problem on pitches is knowing which club to choose and how far to swing when I'm faced with distances between 100 - 40 yards, rather than having a consistent strike.

Recently my problems at Waldringfield have stemmed from the tee, after yesterday I feel a little more confident that I can get the ball in play and start to score with my irons whilst the 3 Wood is very much a work in progress.