Friday 28 May 2010

Yes, I am that stupid...

Went to the range on my lunch break to get to the bottom of the snap hooks. Simple question: when you are playing golf where does the ball go? Answer: wherever you were aiming (though excessive side spin may exaggerate its final position). Anyway it dawned on me today that idiot that I am I had my club face slightly closed. Straightened it out and hey presto lovely straight ball flight (ok at times there was a touch of fade in there)!

Anyway, whilst I was there working on my 4 and 6 iron my friend kindly recorded my swing so I can belatedly provide you with an updated view of my ongoing work in progress. So here it is and I am much happier with my position at the top though I do still swing slightly past parallel.



This is with a six iron and I chose the video of the best shot which ran off down hill toward the 200 yard markers with a nice flight.

I promise to post video's more regularly if you promise to leave me your thoughts. So feel free to flag things you think I should discuss with my pro, or if you think I should down tools, give up and go home or if you just like it. You can leave comments by either clicking on the post header or 'comments' below.

4 comments:

  1. Not too bad and real progression. As an avid reader of your blog (as I hope you are of mine) I have commented on how I see your approach and the fact that maybe there are times you can't see the woods for the trees especially early on with all the Pelz stuff.

    As you know there is a real anti-Homer lobby in some parts of the forum and thats fine. Its one of the reasons I try not to put my swing up too often as like you I get accused of being way too involved in mechanics etc.

    I do think your pro may see you as an easy touch. It could howver be an opportunity. Look around locally and maybe try another pro for a lesson and see what they do/say about your swing. They may different ideas about how you tackle the project in general and the gear you need to succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Martin, I may try a new pro and see what they say. I've accepted that if you go public on your attempts to improve you'll inevitably have people question your approach. Grip it and rip it they say and I'm thinking but I am, whenever I get the opportunity. In fact I'm constantly trying to eke out more time to do it more often!

    But in between gripping it and ripping it I may ask some questions to improve my knowledge and approach. To be fair I don't mind the tellings off because to me it says these people want me to get better and want to help me do so. In fact I welcome them as there are many times you all have kept me on the right path.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For six months into your golf project, the swing looks very good, I'm not qualified to give advice on specifics, but it looks a mile better than mine was at your stage :)

    Hope you get on with your new 3 wood, it should make a big difference to how you can play holes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Crux. I'm think I'm getting there. Just need to learn the slight adjustments for the long iron and wood swings and I'll be ready for honing. Really hope you are right about the 3 Wood!

    ReplyDelete