Sunday 2 May 2010

Fit up...

Ever get the feeling the golfing gods are mocking you, giving with one hand while taking away with the other? Well that's exactly how I felt after my fitting session with my pro for my woods. We were looking at shafts for both my driver (future purchase) and fairway woods. My main problems in my swing have been:

  • overhinging at the top

  • swinging way too fast on the downswing

  • not turning my wrists


Which generally causes fat, erratic, slice. The work I've been putting in has helped to combat these three things and I was pleasantly surprised that my ball striking was pretty good during the fitting. That was the thing I was most worried about as how do you know what suits your game when you are spraying it here there and everywhere?

Fairway wood seems to be solved. There's a second hand G15 (barely used) up for sale with the shaft that is the closest match of the limited fairway options. Winner I thought, I get to try on the course before making my mind up as well. Thank you golf gods for this manna you have bestowed upon me, on which I shall feast heartily, and be mightily chuffed with the extra notes in my back pocket.

Then came the burn. The shaft I performed best with was the Fujikura Rombax 7Z08 or to you and me "a shaft that costs as much as a blinking driver!!!" Performance was so much better with this shaft, particularly on dispersion and distance. So I have to start saving the pennies for next year (I think I know what's on my Xmas list). The real shame is that it will cost me a fortune to get the same shaft in my fairways. Oh well, hopefully the G15 fairway will perform well and become my new best friend on the course, while I try and raise extra funds by selling some body parts to pay for my big dog! Anyone want to buy a kidney?

No comments:

Post a Comment