Thursday 27 May 2010

Lessons learned

I tend to be a rather questioning individual. If you have a point of view that differs from my current thoughts, I'll want you to justify your position. Maybe it's because I work in evaluation that I have naturally developed a questioning mindset. Whatever the reason today was an interesting day. It could have been depressing, instead it was enlightening. Perhaps I was naive, perhaps I didn't look around enough. All I know is that as with a lot of things in life a second opinion can be invaluable. So today I learnt that maybe my wedge set up isn't quite right, the shaft in my fairway is more suiting to a stronger player and my current teaching pro may think more about his commission than my development.

I am thankful that I met Morgan from PING, a tremendously helpful guy and I hope our paths cross again when I get fitted for my driver. Paul from Nevada Bobs is another great guy in a very different way, not so subtly suggesting that my pro may have seen me, and my forehead mug tattoo, coming a mile off.

However, what was most enlightening was how people on the GM forum continue to perceive me. I expect many don't read the blog, but either way they will take some serious convincing to believe that I really don't think a magic piece of kit or change to my set up will slash shots off my scores. It will all come down to continued practice and dedication.

So my pro has lost my confidence, my fairway wood is likely to be ill fitting when it finally arrives and the forumers think I'm a kit obsessed tweaker. Oh well it could be worse I could have 4.5 years to get down to scratch!