Tuesday 11 May 2010

Finally, a stiff wood with much needed length

It's coming! Okay moving on from double entendre I finally ordered my 3 Wood today. Getting a Ping G15 3 wood with a UST Mamiya Proforce Axivcore Tour Red 79 shaft. All this based on a fitting session with my pro and having read up I fully understand his rationale. I'm a fairly strong lad and have a swift swing speed. The principal consideration from my pro was torque. He felt that higher torque shafts were twisting on downswing causing the clubface to be open at impact. I had no idea what he was prattling on about at the time something about kick points as well if my memory serves me correctly. Anyway I dutifully toddled off clinging to his wisdom and did some research. Up until now I've never grasped quite how important fitting is. Having been through this process I get it now. Everyone should get fitted for every club they ever buy. Period. I'm just starting to get my head round it. You need someone who knows your game and your swing to offer impartial advice. I'll explain why.

My pro isn't based at my club. I travel to see him as he has a great and growing reputation. I went into the club shop at my club and asked if they had a demo version of the club I've just ordered so I could try it on the course. He didn't but instantly wanted to know how good I was and why I wanted that shaft. Effectively that bit of kit is 'too good for a beginner'. However, when I told him who my pro was he was fine about it. But he still had me doubting.

Then I went into Nevada Bobs to order it (I've got vouchers). Guy at the counter again wanted to know how long I've been playing and why I wanted that particular shaft. Told him pro recommended it and again it was fine. Again had me doubting my ability. Now when the club arrives there is going to be this nagging doubt in my head that I'm not good enough to use it.

In fact if I didn't have absolute faith in my pro I may well have changed my mind and bought a different shaft. This would have been ridiculously based on two people's opinions who have never seen me swing a club. Don't get me wrong they meant well and I appreciate that they wouldn't blindly sell me stuff. It's just that I now have doubt where previously I was extremely happy. Here's hoping that when it arrives we get off to a good start!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment