Monday 25 July 2011

What a day...

...the backswing was smooth and not too hurried. In fact it was a complete contract to how I had been all morning. Half the forumers had arrived at the venue before me and after wolfing down an incredibly generous bacon bap, I was dashing around desperately trying not to forget anything. I'd managed just five practice putts and though flarkey hadn't stuck it on the green, it rolled through, it was still an authoratative strike. Thankfully, I kept my head down and didn't peek early (my primary swing thought for much of the day. I struck it well but just missed the green to the left. A chip, two putts and I breathed a hug sigh of relief.

Thetford is a fabulous course and tomorrow I will do a proper review but what I will say is I highly reommend a visit. ALthough my course experience is limited, this is without doubt my favourite course of all those I have played. But I digress...

bobmac is a bit of a Golf Monthly stalwart. Provider of free advice and inventor and purveyor of the legendary V-Easy. Watching him strike the ball was quite breathtaking at times and despite claims of not being the longest player, he mustered up enough extra welly to snaffle the longest drive. My effort found the first cut but today something special happened. A whisper in the ear from Bob and I hit a lot of great 3 Wood drives, keeping up with the distance he and flarkey were generating with their Drivers. On the 8th, a long downhill par 4 I smashed it past them both racking up a jaw dropping 298 yards. Can't wait to get my hands on the HiBore!!!

In the end I had too many blobs and too many thrown away shots. Three blobs and three occasions when I wasted a large number of shots close to the green. Chipping and putting were poor today but you can't have it all. In the end I was pipped into second (with 35 pts) by Mike who shot a stellar 36 points. As a result of his victory he was the first player crowned with the "Sombrero of Success". Hopefully, that 'trophy' will be up for grabs in the near future. I'm absolutely knackered, but what a day!
103 (72)
4(3), 5(4), 4(3), 8(4), 6(4), 10(5), 5(4), 5(4), 5(4), 6(5), 5(3), 5(4), 7(5), 5(4), 4(4), 4(3), 6(5), 9(4) 

1 comment:

  1. Was a great day mate, well done!

    Craig (CK)

    ReplyDelete