Tuesday 26 July 2011

And I'm spent...

Yesterday has to go down as one of the best golfing experiences I've ever had. I never realised that participating in a Golf Monthly forum meet would have been so enjoyable, but my effervescent enthusiasm and incessant jabbering when I returned home threatened to make the missus boil over. That lasted about an hour until reality bit. My brain and body just said that's it, we are knackered and, as the adrenaline ebbed away, I was overcome by fatigue and weariness. I was in bed by 2130 and struggled to drag myself out of bed this morning.

Thetford is just an hours drive away and I realised that my ability to play 36 holes further afield would be extremely limited. Sadly for me it has meant pulling out of the Sunningdale meet, which was an absolute killer as I was looking forward to that even more after playing Thetford. But such is life and potentially compromising long term health for a day of golf just isn't worth it. Hopefully, I will get another chance in the future.

But it is not all doom and gloom. I met some fantastic people, made new friends and had some great laughs. Yesterday's round has given me a new found confidence in my long clubs. It has taught me to embrace and love my natural fade, seeing it as a strength not a weakness. I have a greater appreciation of the technique to play short pitch shots. I understand the tweaks I need to make to improve my grip. I feel in control of my game and capable of finally starting to realise my potential. Exciting times ahead and maybe, just maybe, a sizeable cut is on it's way as an early birthday present in the August medal. Until then I might need more than a little shut eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment