Friday 15 July 2011

Preparing for the Tempest

Spare towel? Check. Spare gloves? Check. Umbrella? Check. Monsoon forecast? Check. Having seen the professionals struggle on the links on Thursday I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the howling storm forecast for this weekend doesn't ruin the spectacle of the Open and destroy my card tomorrow. Plan is to swing slow, be patient, play the percentages and putt positively. Having watched the pros over the last couple of days I have been impressed with the tempo and laid back approach. Miguel Jimenez doing stretches whilst puffing a cigar being a case in point.

Tom Lewis announced himself in stunning fashion with an amazing opening gambit of 65. Though he struggled today he'll enter the weekend brimming with confidence and on course to secure the silver medal. I hope he can enthral us as Justin Rose did all those years ago. Thomas Bjorn exorcising his 2003 demons was also a cockle warming story. McIlroy may not have set the championship on fire yet but he's right in contention as is Sergio Garcia who I didn't think had the temperament to stay with it in a Major. Tom Watson's ace on the 6th today was as magical as it gets and there are still a host of potential fairytales for Sunday.

One thing is for certain there is definitely not a career beckoning for me as a tipster. Lee Westwood...what a shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment